Monday, January 03, 2011

These slippers are made for walkin'

PHOTOS BY KATIE WAMSLEY

Growing up my father was always concerned about whether we needed socks on our feet. It wasn't until I moved to San Francisco that I began to appreciate the need for efficient foot coverage, and my fathers wise concerns. This Christmas I decided to return the favor.

Enter Lorna Miser, of Lorna's Laces. The Suede bottoms can be purchased with the pattern for 'Suede Soled Slippers', from Somerset Designs, and are lined with a synthetic wool.

I used 3 skeins of Twice Tweed from Elsebeth Lavold, a recycled blend of wool, cotton and polyamide. The yarn isn't particularly soft to work with, but I wanted something that might have some structure, and wouldn't be too warm for Texas.

The only adjustment I made was to continue the rib pattern down the heel. To attach the upper to the suede piece I used a whip stitch and strands of my Twice Tweed split in half.

1 comment:

Ryan Collins said...

Your father is a smart man. Wearing socks is the key to warmth and good health.